Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Solving Problems

I have been telling stories about the progress of my relationship with my superintendent. I came to the factory 14 years after he started so it was not easy for me to slip into their system. We have been doing fine working together. It has gone better now that he already put me into picture of what is happening around the plant and his jobs and in full detail.<>

I never forced him to follow me, instead I showed him that though I am more than 10 years younger than him, I have the capability to make things happen, get root cause faster for machines and solve problems even on personal matters. I am also the mediator when they cannot tell if the main problem is electrical or his division – mechanical.

Now that he is more open to my ideas, I also make sure he grows in terms of management. It is not that easy for him as he was a hands-on person but with the aid of my stories and experiences, he is little by little moving out of it and moving a step higher. We had a lot of chat made especially on how to handle things around the plant, not only problems but also the people around us. We also have chats on what improvements he wants. He also wanted to learn AutoCAD and I helped him with it also.

Every time there are thing(s) that bothers him or problem that he needs answer, he would approach me. I like the way he starts our conversation, that is, he would tell me that he has a problem and he is sure I can solve it in 1, 2 or just 5 minutes.


“The quickest way to gain leadership: problem solving”
- John Maxwell
Developing the leader within you.

16 comments:

  1. That is definitely an admirable ability to possess, and it is admirable that you are willing to share it with others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By reading this I think you rate your abilities very highly. I must point out that you may start believing abilities a bit too much and start disrespecting others. It has happened to many,stay out of it my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great. I know work relationships can be a challenge. It takes perseverance and the willingness to make it work, which is sounds like you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    You have a very nice post!
    Well I was reading your post, it cammed up to my mind one quote :

    "THERE IN NO I IN A TEAM"

    Simplicity and Contentment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vinay, I agree with you that many falls into the trap of disrespecting others when they rate their abiliies too high. I am still a work in progress my friend and what I have here is to give sample to quote herein. Thanks also for the other commentators.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Thank you for the comment!
    You're right every thing happens for and with an reason!

    Thx again!

    Nice bloging with you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a boss, he is french, and we worked really well together. I think the key to that condition is that we are really respecting each other.
    So, that's what I always do when work with others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure you should blog about this. If your boss reads this it might ruin your chances of advancement. It's better to be silently capable and be humble at the same time. Just my 2 cents worth :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogging for Money, Thanks for the comment but I think differently. First this is not to tell others that that I am great rather to give idea on leading. Next, In my opinion, having to gain follower without being bossy is a good thing to acquire that you can be more valuable to a team.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is great when two people respect each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea work relationships can be tough,I like the way you deal with things.I can learn a lesson or two from you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Work relations can be challenging to work out, and I'm glad that you've managed to find your own way to do so. And it's a good thing that you don't seem to throw it in their faces, rather you would help build them up. I don't think you seem to lack any humility, and your capabilities seem strong.. I wish you the best of luck in your field.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep up your good work and ability to solve problems quickly. Hope that your boss doesn't read this and feel himself inferior!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your comments and concern. My boss is more matured and a lot wiser than I am. He is happy with me doing things like this as he does to all his subordinates also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's great to have followers in work environment. If you have the confidence of your boss what else do you need. On the other hand, helping some grow in different walks of life helps you to grow as an individually as well.
    Nice post!! :))
    junoon
    http://parttime-moneyjobs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your Ad Here

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.