Sunday, May 9, 2010

Ninoy Aquino

When I was young, I remember seeing this guy on TV speaking in front of a big crowd. I did not absorb most of what he said except for a joke in it  and since then, every time I read or hear the name Ninoy, the lines in bold just comes out of my mind :

As you very well know the Japanese have a difficulty pronouncing their R's. Manila becomes Manira. And so this Japanese gentleman stood up and said, My dear Piripino pipor, you are very raki, and I consider he said the Filipino people the most raki in Asia. And the people were of course surprised and they wanted to know why they are very lucky. He said you know why you are raki? You have a president who robs you, and you have a first lady who robs you more!

Just yesterday, I saw chunks of this speech at National Geographic’s presentation of Ninoy Aquino’s assassination and the investigation that was done. Seeing that, I then searched for his speech and learned that it took place in Los Angeles in 1981. I believe it was aired on Philippine TV after the reign of the dictator.Videos are available on Youtube and the website http://hawaksatun-og.webs.com has a written article of this speech.

I was amazed by the wisdom he has and powerful words he used. He looked at things in so mature and sincere way. He also has a great sense of humor. And even with his wisdom, he is humble enough to say that he still seeks for sage advice. A very wise man indeed. I am a fan of wise people and he is probably one to follow.

Simply amazing, he would have been a president of the Philippines and with his bravery, he was assassinated then people woke up, fought and had freedom back. Now I have more lines from that speech to think about in addition to the joke he uttered almost three decades ago.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.