Saturday, May 15, 2010

Rob Libbis

Rob Libbis is a consultant/auditor from NCS Australia who helps us with ISO documentation. I had a chance to talk to him as I had to drive them (him and my friend Leah) off during lunch time. He is experienced and matured. When given this job to accompany a person especially a person of other race, I have no hesitation as I know I can learn something, and sure enough, I heard many things that are worthwhile. ()

What he has that I am really keen on learning is how to gain interest of the audience when he speaks in front. He has to do it for training purposes. He had given me some points. Though I can speak with people, and I have done mini-seminars myself, I know it will be very different if your audiences are not your subordinates. He had simple tips that would really help should I encounter talking to a bigger crowd and outside my own organization. He also is interested in NLP (Neuro-Linguistic programming) which is a topic that I have been reading and practicing for some time now. He finds it very useful and so do I. We also shared life experiences and fortunately, I can relate to most of them. As usual, I ask foreign friend of their culture. I love reading cultures of other nation but I found it best to be heard directly from a real person.

Day after day, we would talk and the conversation gets better and a lot of non-sense but funny things surfaced afterwards. It was a bit formal on the first 2 days and after that, we spoke in a very casual way. Aside from the things that he encounters in his home land and as he worked to other parts of the world, there are a lot of things he said that he learned as we grow older. I told him that, that is the reason I read books - to gain knowledge and so I would not have to wait to grow old before I learn those lessons in life. We only have an hour a day at lunch time and our conversation is so nice that time flies so fast.

It was a relieving week and I look forward to his next stint in PNG this June. If not at lunch time, I know I can ask him questions at work hours but with queries that are work related that can make life easier as I drain in me some of his experiences in documentation and auditing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.