Saturday, February 21, 2009

Growing w/ AutoCAD

With the seminars that we had and due to the groups that I joined in college, I learned some things that are a hit for engineers that time - AutoCAD. When I had the chance to study them in Franklin Baker, I really did my best to master it. I read books regarding it and asked a guru, Cliff, who became a good friend of mine. He is a Mechanical Engineer and an expert in that software. Before leaving the company, I can already make 3D models of the manufacturing line we had – after almost 2 years. By drawing the whole system, I get to learn the whole process also. I also had good chats with the experts in the manufacturing process.<>

In GlaxoSmithKline, I have used it in Structural works. I have been updating the whole plant and am usually part of planning when there are modifications to be done. With me included in the planning, I learned a lot of how decisions are made and also the process of project management. I also have done 3D models of our boilers and instrumentations for training purposes.

Before going to PNG, I was sent to China for Paper factory training and had to do a layout using the same software. They had a copy of the software and loaded it to the laptop that we had. After installation, the IT guy told us that there is a problem and that is… it is in Chinese (no English translation of the commands). Confidently, I told the IT guy that it is not a problem and I can work on it. Finishing the task, everybody who knew that the software I am using is in Chinese was amazed how I made it. I just told them that the commands are in my head already and I don’t need to read Chinese in order to prepare the drawings.

Putting it altogether, here in PNG, I have to use all the acquired knowledge I gained in drawing and in talking to other people. I have learned that there is more to drawing than the picture itself. Nowadays, I would also do share to the people I talk to while I get the measurements of the things I have to picture out.

I have used AutoCAD R14 (Franklin Baker Co. of the Phil.), AutoCAD2000 (GlaxoSmithKline Phil.) and now AutoCAD 2008 (K.K.Kingston). The tools I used are mostly the same. It just gets easier to use and more expensive every time a new version comes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Friend.. Interesting post.. Keep up the good work.. Do visit my blog and post your comments.. Take care mate.. Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your Ad Here

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.