Friday, April 10, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect

Background: most Filipinos, which are at least are high school graduates, understands great deal of English. Unfortunately, due to not practicing, they are very afraid to speak with this foreign languageAdd Image. Most Filipinos are also very keen on English grammar that when you speak to them, usually they are just waiting for your errors.<>

In Glaxo, about 5 years ago, I had a chance to work with a British bloke, Raphael Dixon, when I was tasked to undergo training on the new Purified Water System (PWS) the company acquired. I cannot talk to him continuously at first. That time, I really wanted to increase my confidence in speaking with foreigners and we also need it during audits. Having a lot of foreign friends, I asked my wife, Joecy, how to deal with them. She looked very enthusiastic to answer my question and said that I just have to be frank, if you forgot the word, do a sign language or ask if he/she knows what you are talking about. She also added that they are not keen on grammars.

Upon hearing the tips, I talked to Raph more, and even if I make lot of errors, I just to kept with his pace of speaking. Seeing that he doesn’t mind my mistakes gave me more confidence but I still made sure to improve it. About a year and a half since then, I am surprised when Raph suddenly mentioned that I have improved a lot since we first started talking and that the way I talk is totally different.

After some more time of working with him, the two of us went to a hotel bar one night, ordered some drinks and talked. The lady bartender heard our chat and curiously told me that she thought I am a Filipino. I said “I am, why?” She replied hesitantly, “Because you sound much like the one you’re with”.

Note: The 8-ball picture above is drawn in AutoCAD 2008.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.