Thursday, April 2, 2009

Communication 101

While in Glaxo, I was the one in charge of water systems. I have read thick books regarding it and spent time monitoring the process. In time, I have learned the whole system and easily I can detect things before it becomes a problem. Unfortunately, my manager then did not know the knowledge that I already acquired. I struggled telling them what has to be done or what made an incident happen but with negative result even if I am very sure of them.

While on a visit, I told what happened to one of our suppliers of water filters. All things he said regarding water system, I can understand. He would also agree on details I narrated to him. He smilingly told that what I need is for my hair to be grey. He had the same experience and he told me and when he got older and had almost all hair turn grey, most people believed in him. I told myself then that I don’t want to get that old before that happens.

I went thru an online communication course in the intranet and read books for such, I realized then that it is not the content but the approach that I used that probably caused the problem. I may be right, but making other people think they are wrong doesn’t help. Sometimes I am unaware of using a loud voice even if I am not angry. I was very surprised to hear that from my co-worker when we were having a simple chat.

After those, I have managed to lower my voice most of the time, even if the situation a bit adverse already. I have been calm and before reacting to situations, I would tell myself to speak politely no matter what. I have been successful with it and is more often automatic and people listens well to those that I am saying – without the use of grey hair.

Trivia: Studies have been done that show us the percentage of understanding that is gained from the spoken word. It is considerably less than the meaning that people gain from listening to a person's tone of voice and looking at their non-verbal communication. The percentage of how people accept what we tell them is as follows: 7% Spoken words (Content of what we say), 38% Tone of voice and 55% Non Verbal (Body language.)

1 comment:

  1. this is true, especially with kids. they react more to softer voice, rather than when shouting at them :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your Ad Here

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.