Thursday, November 13, 2008

don't go home

When I was a kid, I got hooked up in collecting and trading NBA basketball cards in Manila where it is a hit back then. After some time, I learned that there is not one store that sells them in our province, so I thought of selling them in Bulacan. I built up my stocks of cards (by saving money from my school allowance) and placed them in a nice black ring binder. Soon, I piled up my cards, and got ready to sell them in our mini store in Atlag. From our house going to the store, I saw my uncle who is an influencial person in our place and is known in the field of basketball. I told him merrily that I am going to sell cards, then he uttered, "hindi ka makakabenta dito n'yan!". As a very very shy person, my heart was pounded with his "brutal words". I just smiled at him and pretended I heard nothing and continued walking. After few strides, I stopped and thought twice - should I bring the items to the store or go home. My heart was still beating very fast, and after a while, I told my self "I'll sell cards". From then, I earned good sum of money and sold items until competition came. This event, is still very fresh in my mind and serves as an inspiration whenever people tell me I cannot do things. As I see it now, the money I earned is worthless compared from what I learned from it. I've seen a lot of people stop, think twice then go home (comfort zone) whenever other people tell them they cannot do it, even if they know they can and there is nothing to loose.

1 comment:

  1. "hindi ka makakabenta dito n'yan!" means "you'll never sell them here. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Your Ad Here

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.