Monday, November 24, 2008

problem

One of my friends told me he has a problem with his board member in his small organization. He said that the person always comes late during their meetings and that he causes delay because he has an important data which should be presented early in the meeting. He is a bit angry already to his fellow. Surprisingly, he asked me how to handle a person like him. Surprising, because he is 10 years older than me. Hearing this I got excited as I will be giving advice just like the leaders I am following.<> Fortunately, the answer came in an instant as I have read issues like this on the previous books that I finished reading. Confidently, the exact phrase I told him was: “tirahin mo yung problema at ‘wag yung tao” (Focus on the problem and not the person.) He asked for an elaboration. In a very calm way, like a teacher to a student, I told him that he should not take things personally. I continued and told him that if he will tell the person that he is wrong for what he is doing, he would probably just defend himself and create an argument. I told him that in my opinion, the better approach is to tell him that being late is wrong because he is needed to come early so that the data will be presented on the right time. I also added for him to tell the lad that if he comes on time, then the meeting can also be adjourned on time. I have to leave the company then that is why I did not know what happened during their next meetings.

Just put yourself into the shoes of the guy who comes in late, would you like to hear your leader tell you that you’re wrong because you’re always late? Or would you rather hear him tell you that being late is wrong?

4 comments:

  1. very nicely said, parang, walang personalan, trabaho lang.

    thanks for the link btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, rubbing it to your fellow colleague increases friction rather than cooperation; let them feel that they are an important part of the pack and everything will be ok.
    This is similar with one movie that I saw years ago. It was about a group of soldiers who were all comrades right from Basic Training up to their assignment in Europe for war.
    When one of them were caught in a grenade blast, the wounded soldier shouted to his comrades, "sorry guys! I fuck3d up!". He was crying while he was shouting this; apparently he was ashamed that he let his comrades down. Their commanding officer was at awe when he saw this. As a result, everyone was at high morale. Everyone got to Headquarters safely - including the "blasted" soldier.
    See? letting other people in your group feel that they're a very important means a lot.
    Nice post sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely better to let them know that being late is wrong instead of having them think that their wrong for being late. It is the truth. However, their should be some type of action taken in a situation like this. In business areas, when meetings take place, most people attending the meetings are there for a specific reason.

    If he's not there when it matters most, then he should not come at all and face the consequences. There's nothing worse than someone who's not on time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am interested to read this posts because it is good for me to learn some words from another language.

    Sherin

    ReplyDelete

Your Ad Here

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.